[RE-wrenches] Bad Cell

Phil Undercuffler solarphil at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 19:29:05 PDT 2010

You definitely have a problem cell, but I'm not so sure about it being a
defect which should be covered under warranty -- not at 6 years.
 Manufacturing defects show up in the first year or so, not way down the
road.  Without knowing more about the charge and discharge history, it's
hard to know for sure, but I'd recommend chronic sulfation should be ruled
out before yanking cells. What are the charge setpoints for the bank, the
average net charge current, and average daily discharge in amphours?  How
often is the bank charged to full (I mean really full, not just "it was
sunny and the meter got into the 90s" full).  That the other cells only got
to 1.260 tells me the bank isn't really charged to full yet, even though you
think that you're doing an equalization.  Remember, charging at greater than
60 volts when the specific gravity is less than 1.265 is really just
unregulated charging, not equalizing.

Good luck with it,

Phil Undercuffler