[RE-wrenches] Two strings of Different Orientation

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri May 21 01:20:38 PDT 2010

I agree with your I-V curve interpretation Bill,  I had never considered the counteracting influences on voltage of reduced irradiance and reduced temp.
Very interesting. Also funny how most manufacturers quit publishing IV curves....

One way to check it Peter, is to turn each subarray on separately, and check the operating voltage, then turn them both on.
If Bill is right, you won't  see enough variation to seriously affect MPPT. (Power subarray A + power subarrayB should = total power with both arrays on)
(My problem is intermittent clouds always come and mess up my experiments like this.......)

Also, BIll mentioned the need for field IV tracing tools, Greenlee recently came out with an IV tracer for under $2500, but unfortunately it only does 60 v max.
(somebody should tell them, we'd be more interested in field measurements of entire strings, not individual modules)

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer