[RE-wrenches] Grundfos SQ FLEX AC/DC auto switching

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Thu May 20 17:45:53 PDT 2010

Kirpal,

Lots of good suggestions so far here, but here's my take:

Unless there is a very high water need during the daytime hours, most of the time the PV array will be sitting there just doing nothing, which is what happens in most pressure systems. You would be better off just using an AC pump (like the Grundfos AC-only SQ pumps) run from grid power. Then put the PV on an intertie system to offset the power usage. Since a PV-direct pump won't give you water during a grid failure at night, the idea of running the pump with the PV at all is not very useful. How often goes the grid go out during a sunny day?

If the grid goes out a lot, you should install a grid-tie system with battery back-up. That's the only way to also have water at night during a power failure.

Another thing that you could do is to go ahead and use an SQFlex pump, but match the PV array voltage to a grid-tie inverter so that most of the time it's connected to, and selling to, the grid. If you do have a power failure during the day, use a manual transfer switch to switch the array output directly to the pump (the SQFlex can handle DC up to 300V). You could probably automate this if you use a DPDT transfer relay held closed by the grid, but defaulting to PV direct if the grid goes down.

Unless you have some compelling reason, I just don't see having a PV array just sit there most of the time not being used.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar