[RE-wrenches] Transformer inrush

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Thu May 13 12:36:53 PDT 2010

Friend:

Thanks for the responses.  They have all been valid on offered good
options.  There is one possible solution that will be easier to implement
and is worth a brief description here:

Breakers have an AIC (Ampere Interrupting Capacity).  This is a
quantification of how much fault current a breaker can handle before it
explodes (in lay terms).  Residential AC power distribution drops have a
finite ampacity under short circuit capability.  Sure, you drop a wrench
across a bus expect a lot of amps to flow until your main opens.  A higher
amperage commercial service can deliver more instantaneous amps, so a
breaker with a higher AIC is required in commercial applications.  Typical
values are 10,000, 22,000 and 65,000.  The lower values are found on garden
variety breakers.

I have learned that the higher AIC breakers also have a higher
"instantaneous trip" value.  A Siemens 2 pole 100 amp breaker with a10,000
AIC rating has a 600-900 amps instantaneous rating.  The same breaker with
a 22,000 AIC rating has a rating of rating of 1,000 -1,2000 instantaneous amps.

I am thinking that the higher instantaneous rating my prevent nuisance
trips.  My supplier has asked Siemens to comment but we receive a very
non-committal answer.  My supplier has offered to sell me breakers with the
higher AIC and accept them back if they don't solve the problem.  That is
the direction and I will report back.

Thanks again.  I hope this exchange was beneficial for many of you and
prevents some of you from repeating my mistakes.

William Miller