[RE-wrenches] 10 kW Trace System

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu May 6 12:24:27 PDT 2010

I like the SW4024, but I never liked the SW5548. It actually had less surge capability than its little brother.
Either way, I would never recommend the Trace SW series for grid tie. They are very inefficient in that mode.
(As for the noise, I seem to recall an issue with old SWs where the windings came delaminated and made noise? But I don't remember.....)
We typically run around pulling those SWs out and replacing them with Outbacks.
The SW5548s do have a resell value of around $1500/ ea. for the off grid market.
I'd build a whole new power panel with Outbacks, MPPT controllers, and if the backup loads don't need that much inverter, I'd consider using a combination of Outbacks, and put one of the roofs on a GT inverter without battery backup. (rewire the array for higher voltage)
Sounds like the batteries are gone too (10 years old, 1 failed string)
Once you do all that, they should notice the difference on their next electric bill; it will produce much more net energy.
I'd also ask the question: Have you really used the backup in the past 10 years? (sounds like it was originally a Y2K fear system)
Might just go all GT, no batteries. Be cheaper and even more efficient.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer