[RE-wrenches] bare tinned solid copper

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu May 6 10:22:14 PDT 2010

It all depends on how its done. If each electrode is attached to the next electrode by the #2 and Cadweld directly, and also connected through the required EGC, then there is a loop. Once you have the loop, the low resistance #2 cable only increases its ability to generate current from an electromagnetic field (created by a nearby lightning strike).
Cad welding is fine, tinned #2 is fine, but connect the rods through the EGC, not twice. The only time you would want to connect rods directly to each other, is if they are all tied to the system at only one point (ie, 3 rods attached in a line to each other, last one is then connected up to the system)

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer