[RE-wrenches] Heinz 57 off-grid array - Side discussion about mix-n-match

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon May 3 16:15:45 PDT 2010

All of my "this ought to work?" experiments in module mixing and matching did work, but always under performed.
 If the customer wanted to play around with them, put them on a decent rack, and hide the mess from view, it will still provide some usable amps.
I wouldn't even waste an MPPT controller on it though, probably just reuse their C40.
I like clearly separating an array like this from the main array: separate location, combiner box, wire, controller, breaker......The only thing I would share would maybe be the conduit and equipment ground.

Dan Fink's idea of donating the modules to the third world is an excellent one.
Just one of those modules can put a family into some lighting and communication.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer