[RE-wrenches] Ideal platform for flooded type batteries: opinionswanted

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc ntrei at 1scom.net
Fri Apr 30 09:09:34 PDT 2010

Mick
if you are near a pretty thick edition of the yellow pages, you should be
able to find a listing for someone who does plastic vacuum molding or
prototype molding. The vacuum mold system is perfect for large
non-critically dimensioned and low production custom pieces of plastic.
The mold core will be made of wood and shaped like the inside of the battery
tray. A sheet of plastic is heated then lowered onto the core and a vacuum
pump will draw the plastic tight over the core.
A basic tray, or several smaller trays for pairs of cells can be made up
pretty inexpensively this way.
If it is a size battery type you install often you could probably get a
better price for multiple pieces.
Here's a shot of a rather sophisticated production vacuum forming machine at
work. Smaller shops may have older machines but your needs are not critical.
Just be sure to specify the correct type of plactic that will be acid
resistant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL-h0HAcdFA&feature=related

Jim Duncan
North Texas Renewable Energy