[RE-wrenches] Lags & Trusses

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Apr 27 20:01:54 PDT 2010

Friends:

Over the years we used all lengths and diameters of lags.  We do not use
any of these lags anymore, ever since we discovered the Simpson 1/4"X3" hot
dip galvanized strong drive lags.  They require no pilot hole, drive easily
with an impact driver and the inspectors and plan checkers seem to like
hearing the Simpson brand name used on the plans.  The 1/4" diameter is
less likely to split a 2 by truss.

Finding the center of a truss is critical and pilot holes are a necessary
evil.  We issue each employee a specific color of lumber crayon with
instructions to circle every pilot hole.  They then "own" that pilot hole
and are responsible for sealing it.  Hopefully, each pilot hole ends up
under a foot anyway.

We use landscape flags to probe pilot holes.  The thin wire will prove if
you have hit a truss.  If you miss the truss, bend a slight angle on the
wire and rotate it until the end strikes the side of the truss.  Extract
the wire and hold it in the same orientation as when you touched the side
of the truss and it will tell you accurately where the edge is.  If someone
needs to crawl the attic to put in blocking, wind the flag tightly around
the wire and insert it in the pilot hole.  It will unfurl and mark the spot
so it can easily be seen even in the dustiest attic.

William Miller

Does anyone out there want to buy a bucket of various size lags?

WM