[RE-wrenches] Lorentz Sub Pump

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Fri Apr 23 10:31:54 PDT 2010

Hi all,
Personally I would not consider a a direct burial run of anything as conduit is just too cheap and over the years I've had some hard lessons to arrive at this. Between sharp rocks, earth movement and varmints it is too risky and a HUGE hassle to locate and repair a problem. A long run like 3000' is an ideal application for the Cal-Val.

When system pressure exceeds the common 125psi of bladder tanks, then you can move on to a hydraulic accumulator (3000 psi!) or make your own stand pipe out of a 3' scrap of 4" PVC Sch. 80 (working press. 193, burst min. 1110 psi) or for pressures above 200psi go to Galv. but at the max lift of these DC pumps you're not going to exceed the rating of Sch. 80 PVC. and probably not Sch. 40. (what are you using for the delivery line anyway?). We are really only dealing with water hammer here.

For relays, I use standard cheapo 30A, 120V coil for inverter control, single module tap as David pointed out with 24Vdc coils for PV-direct. If the PV to pump run is long then I would use a cheap "Car battery maintainer" panel for under $20 at the pump/relay and use a common SSR that takes a control of 3-32Vdc. If my pump is very close to the tank I simply run pump power through the float switch for the simplest control.

-jeff o