[RE-wrenches] Lorentz Sub Pump

Roy Butler roy at four-winds-energy.com
Thu Apr 22 15:41:45 PDT 2010

Hi Jeff,

I probably should mentioned that many of our float switch wire runs
exceed 3,000 feet from tank to Cu200.
We use shielded, direct burial rated 18/2 cable, bury the wire and
ground the drain wire at the controller.

So with those "long distance" systems, do you think a relay would work?
It just doesn't seem feasible to run
coil voltage that far. That's why we've been relying on the CU-200
microprocessor to do the job. Also, I
don't like to run anything but the pump off a PV direct system.

As for the pressure tank/ switch option, we do have a few of those out
there and I agree, they work fine.
But on some of our systems the vertical rise between the pump and
storage tank is over 300 feet. That's
about 130 psi and those pressure tanks wouldn't like that too much. And
for various design reasons, a check
valve on the main feed line isn't feasible, so we ruled out the pressure
switch option on these "long distance"
systems.

I also like to keep things as simple as possible where livestock water
is concerned. Farmers have so many
maintenance items on their list now, I hate to add more. So at first
look, the Cu200 seemed to be the ticket.

Thanks for the info!

Roy Butler
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer®
NYSERDA eligible PV&  wind installer
PA Sunshine Program Approved PV Installer
Four Winds Renewable Energy, LLC
8902 Route 46
Arkport, NY 14807
607-324-9747

www.four-winds-energy.com

Although no trees were killed in the sending of this message,
a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

The 6th Annual Small Wind Conference
A Gathering of small wind industry stakeholders
June 15 and 16, 2010
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
info at smallwindconference.com
http://www.smallwindconference.com