[RE-wrenches] Grid-tie hydro

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Thu Apr 22 12:48:18 PDT 2010

My 1st concern before hardware is legalities. What are the water use rights, EPA, Fish and Game, hydro tied to local utility and so on (and on and on) issues...? O-t-g responsible gorilla hydro is one thing, permitted to be grid connected is a whole 'nother can-o-worms! 20 years ago I did a grid connect micro-hydro (450kW) and the permitting process took 2 years. I realize you're talking about a much smaller and unobtrusive install that could go in "unnoticed" but the potential to get busted by the utility would scare me, risk my license and put the customer at risk. I would not think that anyone on this list would endorse that approach. It sure is hard to walk away from a good untapped hydro potential though!!

-jeff o