[RE-wrenches] DC lightning arrestors

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Apr 17 12:14:23 PDT 2010

I just recently bought a clamp on ground impedance tester. I found one system that was less than an ohm, worst  one was almost 800 ohms. Only a few were below 25 ohms.
You're absolutely right: good lightning protection starts with a good ground.
The impedance tester takes the guess work out of just how good (or bad) the grounding is.
My theory is that in a poorly grounded system with everything tied together, that the strike (or induced surge) just oscillates back and forth through the system dissipating itself through the components of the system.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer