[RE-wrenches] Heat pump water heater

Ken Schaal ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Mon Apr 12 14:29:30 PDT 2010

William

The key to effective HPWH's is location--- It will need a space large
enough, or with sufficient thermal mass, to provide fairly constant temps
above 50+ *. Ideally 65+, but not above 100 or so.Also, humidity is a large
component of there efficiency factor--the more the better! We've put them in
closed crawl spaces ( pretty dry ), basements ( good choice, especially if
damp with a big wood stove ) or a sunroom/greenhouse if it doesn't over
heat. They will not be completely silent, so take that into acount.

Remember not to 'rob peter to pay paul'--- you'll need a location that gets
free humidity and heat. If you can benefit from the cool air byproduct, so
much the better ! But the common location for an electric strip WH, like
under the stairs, in the utility room, etc. would not be a good choice. A
garage ? depends on the climate your in-- Southern California ? probably
works well.

Ken