[RE-wrenches] Outback Grid Problems

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Mar 31 14:30:15 PDT 2010

I suspect our performance issues are software related as well. Obviously Outback didn't optimize performance of their inverters for such a large battery. It would be nice to be able to understand and adjust some of those back door parameters, though.
We've learned more about the problem: it appears to be cold temp related, batteries are in an unheated room of the house, and it seems to occur with snow on the modules, when their output is diminished.
Apparently there is enough power to seriously charge the batteries, but not reach full charge parameters.
I think it could be a combined effect of several issues mentioned here. (software, temp sensing in cold weather, Utility transformer,...)

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer