[RE-wrenches] Kohler Generator Issues

jason pozner zzyyzzx11 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 14:11:22 PDT 2010

Jeff,

When we purchased a 12K unit for a client, the distributor conveniently
waited until after the purchase to mention the fact that Kohler wouldn't
warranty off-grid usage, and to instruct our customer to not ever mention
anything other than it was used for grid-connected standby.  To pacify the
perfectly crafted words I had for him, he mentioned that Kohler had an off
grid unit coming available in the next couple of months addressing all of
the fore-mentioned concerns.  This was about 2 years ago, and I now see
where he intended his smoke to go.  I have never heard of such a unit again.

When that same client needed another generator we shopped around and found
Cummins-Onan to be great to deal with.  Simple start up procedure, quieter
than that Kohler 12K, 2-wire start, and their price for a 30K generator was
800.00 cheaper than my Kohler distributor could give to me even though it
was our first purchase with them. Thus far I have been pleased with Onan.

To answer your question, we have never been contacted by Kohler.

Jay Pozner
Nunatak Alternative Energy Solutions