[RE-wrenches] NABCEP website ideas

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 07:24:46 PDT 2010

Allan - I think both tools could be very useful and fully support the
website modifications.

Andrew Truitt
NABCEP Certified PV Installer (ID# 032407-66)

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 2:12 PM, R Ray Walters <ray at solarray.com> wrote:

> Both ideas are simple and make good sense. I think listing the number of
> years certified is a strong reason I'd renew actually, otherwise what's the
> difference between someone who has been certified for 6 years vs. 6 months?
>
>  R. Walters
> ray at solarray.com
> Solar Engineer
>

> On Mar 14, 2010, at 12:11 AM, Allan Sindelar wrote:
>
>  Wrenches,
> Recently I wrote to NABCEP with two requests, for changes on the website's
> public information:
>      1. In addition to a state-by-state list of certificants, have also a
> single overall alphabetized list that is not delimited by state, to allow a
> quick check if an installer who claims certification actually is so.
>      2. I would like to see the year of initial certification available as
> part of the published info on NABCEP's certificant listings. I would like to
> think that this is also a good indicator of an installer's experience as the
> field (of certificants) continues to get larger.
>
> I got thoughtful responses from Ezra and Bob-O. The essence of the
> back-and-forth discussion follows my signature line. But straight and to the
> point: Among those of you who are NABCEP Certified PV Installers, what are
> your opinions about these two ideas? Any responses and discussion will make
> its way back to NABCEP - I'll see to that.
> Thanks,
> Allan
> --
>
> *Allan** Sindelar*
> Allan at positiveenergysolar.com
> NABCEP Certified Photovoltaic Installer
> EE98J Journeyman Electrician
> *Positive Energy, Inc.*
> 3201 Calle Marie
> Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507
> *505 424-1112*
> www.positiveenergysolar.com
>

> [Last post first; earlier posts follow]
>
> Hi Allan,
> As always it's great to "talk" with you. I want to correct a common
> misunderstanding about the qualifications to sit for the NABCEP Installer
> Exam. Nothing has changed with respect to experience. The person applying
> still needs to have been the person responsible for two PV systems sometime
> over the past two years. You are correct that some time ago we changed the
> wording to "some time within the past two years" this was to indicate that
> difference between two complete years of experience and two systems in the
> past two years (our actual requirement).
>
>  I can assure you that the likes of Bob-O keep us all very honest when it
> comes to watering down the qualifications to sit for the exam. The entire
> exam committee keeps their eye on not "dumbing down" the exam. They want the
> new achievers to work as hard as you and the other early adopters did.
>
>  I am not really in favour of the downloadable list because of the spam
> concerns but I'll happily accede to what the "Certs" want. I'd suggest an
> [...]

"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it's wireless!"

~William McDonough