[RE-wrenches] Pump choice - Grundfos or Lorentz; distributers of L orentz

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Mon Mar 8 11:55:16 PST 2010

It seems that both the Lorentz and Grundfos are about equal in reliability these days so as Windy says look at the complete system and take it from there. I like having all of the electronics on the wall with the Lorentz over down the hole w/the Grundfos, but then the Grundfos wins most times with me due to the flexible input voltage.

A couple of things I've learned (some the hard way):
Always purchased the 3 year extended warranty for the Grundfos, it is a bargain and takes you out to 5 years.
Do not use any of the Grundfos controllers, the pricing for what you get is insane unless your customer insists on knowing how many watts the pump is pulling to feed his/her thirst for data. I put together my own simple and cheap controls for the various needs.
Look at the larger Grunfos pumps then you might need, the 3 smaller ones are very close in W/GPM and all priced the same. Often a larger series offers the ability to add more PV one day and dramatically increase flow w/o replacing the pump if the future needs call for it.  In the mean time the wattage to drive the larger pump at the same flow as a smaller one can be nearly the same.

-jeff o