[RE-wrenches] Torchdown, low pitched PV. How to weatherproof.

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Fri Feb 26 09:49:06 PST 2010

This is actually an easy one. Clean the roofing well where you plan to penetrate and use standoffs that you like secured into the structure and then cut a "patch" out of a new piece of tourchdown at least 6" larger then your standoff base on all sides, cut a hole for your riser and melt the surface of the existing tourchdown in the area of patch contact , then press your standoff into the hot tar and shoot your lags through the melted tar for a good seal. Then "flow" the back side of the patch and lay it in fusing the roof and patch together, you should see a flow of tar on all edges, this edge detail is most critical and I'll often "weld" this seam again and look for a good flow and monolithic bond.  For small areas like this often a conventional plumbers torch will suffice.  I've also cut thin strips of the tourchdown and used them like welding rods for touch ups and assuring a good bond between the patch and the riser. Remember - the devil is in the details! Wear thick leather gloves that you'll throw away after the job or you'll burn you hands big time!

-jeff