[RE-wrenches] Fwd: single string of batts: must the interconnects beinverter size cables?

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Feb 24 18:20:06 PST 2010

First, I agree with you, that a 48 v system can run a single string of smaller batteries.
Usually 48 v systems are running larger battery banks already.
As far as undersizing the jumpers that carry less current, a 2/0 cable has a free air rating of 300 amps (table 310.17 for THHN at room temp).
Battery jumpers can use the fee air rating, just not the main cable when it goes into conduit.
Also, like I and the Exeltech rep stated: the battery post to lug connection is the weak link, not the cable.
Finally, if the battery bank is so bad, as to have multiple cell failures, once again, if the customer tries and runs the inverter at full surge capacity, it's not going to be a cable that fails,
It will be a corroded connection, another battery cell, or low voltage shut down.
I do high amp testing with sealed batteries in electric vehicles, you're right, they do have some sustained surge capability, but they also have very small surfaces to bolt to.

Bottom line, just use the fee air rating for your jumpers, and the 'in conduit' rating (table 310.16) for the main.
You end up with 4/0 cable for the main, and the parallels, and series jumpers can be 2/0 (assuming an inverter that requires a 250 A disco)
All NEC compliant.
As far as Real Safety issues in the battery area, cable sizing isn't much of an issue at all, it's all those exposed, unfused battery lugs, waiting for your wrench to drop.
I'm still advocating for separate OCP on each series string, BTW.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer