[RE-wrenches] 3 Phase Grid Tie with Battery Backup

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 16 08:50:14 PST 2010

If you have 120/208 you have WYE.  How much power do you have to put into the grid?  The question if you need back up power what is it for?  if it is simple plug loads or lighting you might serve the customer well with single phase backup. If you need 3-phase back-up I find it hard to accept that they need it in one box. The Xantrex is three seperate inverters on one board that looks like 1 box.  The three 120 volt units make 120/208 three phase.    If you have 120/240 three phase you have Delta, high leg.  Other combinations of three phase are possible, but more rare.

I am old and I have never seen a problem of 3 phase imbalance if I stay within 20% of the panel rating.  In fact I have seen single phase loads that will imbalance more than 20% not cause a problem.  The problem of imbalance is similar to what occurs with single phase and changed inverter rules to requireing a ground reference on 240 volt inverters.  This problem is that the neutral will get pushed off center voltage wise, I usually demonstrate this in my class.  YOu can not cause significat imbalance with three 120 volt inverters, but you could woty the old 208 no neutral inverters.

Darryl