[RE-wrenches] discharging Rolls batteries

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 16 08:14:44 PST 2010

Re: [RE-wrenches] discharging Rolls batteriesA battery is an open system. Heat is lost. 2nd law of themodynamics. See http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/mod_tech/node70.html

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Hugh
  To: RE-wrenches
  Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2010 5:04 AM
  Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] discharging Rolls batteries

  Hi Bruce,

  At 22:58 +1300 16/1/10, Bruce Geddes wrote:
    in cold weather the money counters operate more slowly and if the temperature rises they return to normal speed.  The money is still there,....

  Yes but if that is the case then the actual capacity is not affected by temperature - just the ability to deliver.  I would like to think it's that simple, but in reality I suspect that there is some loss of amphours under these conditions.  I am not yet clear about the mechanism, but I suspect that there is more to it than just a 'volt-drop' style explanation such as you offer below.

  As far as I understand it, there are two losses: one of voltage due to internal resistance and chemical 'sluggishness' and another actual loss of capacity in amphours ( getting less amphours out of the battery than you put in).  I am trying to establish what happens to those missing amphours, and also to what extent they actually are missing and to what extent they are just rendered inaccessible by the decision to end the discharge at a certain voltage which in turn is affected by the previous 'volt-dop' issues.

  If it were really just a case of the bank tellers having cold fingers then it would seem reasonable to hammer the battery down to a much lower voltage in the confident knowledge that we are still only taking out 50% of the capacity as enshrined as 'good practice'.  however if some of the cash has actually got lost (where to?) then it is nt legitimate to hit the battery bank for more cash in this way.

  I haven't yet heard from any Wrench what actual voltages they would use to set the LBCO or the genstart on an Outback (or an SW), but one has told me off-list that it's a negotiation with the client.  Fair enough but what are the numbers used in the negotiation, and are they temperature dependant?

  Thanks, Joel for the reading matter which I am working on!  I hope to become wiser in due course.

  best

  Hugh