[RE-wrenches] discharging Rolls batteries

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 15 06:31:54 PST 2010

Hugh
I find your insite to be correct.  If you take any battery, and it is most noticable on slow charge batteries(such as RE and Rolls Solar batteries) if you discharge rapidly the voltage will drop much lower than SOC would indicate, if you let the battry stand the voltage will recover.  So yes you should be able to discharge to a lower voltage and still not be below the safe SOC.

AS to weather anyone has this possibility Outback should be able to with there FnDC, I have discussed this with them, but ...the future.

A new company Silent Power has also looked at this discharging parameter, and ... the future.   They say if I can come up with the algorhythm then maybe.

Thanks for raising this important issue, it is a problem almost every time.
Darryl