[RE-wrenches] Trace inverters undercharging batteries.

Starlight Solar, Larry Crutcher larry at starlightsolar.com
Tue Dec 28 15:20:05 PST 2010

Jesse,

It looks like you said the battery was replaced with Rolls. If so, good choice. Without extensive regular testing, keeping a log book,  and possessing the knowledge to do it right, you will not really know if you are fully charging the battery to 100% SOC. From the information in your post, it leads me to think that this is the case.

IMO, the single most important thing you can do for this customer is install a battery monitor system. I recommend the trimetric. While this will not take the place of skilled battery testing, it will give you far more information than you have ever had. This is where to start. You will then know how high and low the voltage got each day. You will see how many AH are removed and replaced each day. You will have eyes to see your battery health like never before.

Please post the size of the battery bank, the cables and length used to connect the inverter and all the generator information. Perhaps we can help more.

Larry