[RE-wrenches] To insulate a battery bank DEPENDS on a lot of factors.

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Sun Dec 12 15:13:06 PST 2010

Great discussion and Thanks to all of you for the input.

I thought of attempting a  wrap up of the various presentations but there are and always will be many variables in battery storage and insulation requirements. Here are my thoughts and a distillation from you all with respect to my high elevation climate in W. CO. - 6 months of winter and cool nights in summer [typically].

Type of battery - Wet VS. Sealed batteries. : depends on size and usage of system and client choice.

Climates – 4 season with 5-6 months of winter like conditions VS. a mild year round costal climate. : A long winter climate can seriously chill a poorly insulated bank and therefore reduce capacity when the bank get cold. I get more calls each Nov. from new to off grid folks with an under sized array and cold battery bank about reduced capacity.

Does it cool off at night in the summer? VS. It is hot  24/7 for 4 months?

Size of bank – Small VS. Large. : Smaller reacts more quickly to a cooling or heating trend VS. Larger react slowly.

Ambient building temperature. – heated building VS. walled in shed/free standing battery box in a snowy scenario. : If I can put the bank on a temperature controlled radiant concrete slab I do so.

Ability to sink the battery bank into the ground VS. not being able to do so. : installation & cost can be a challenge here.

Powered venting VS.  convective venting ; Powered with a back draft damper seems to be a better option in winter climates. I have used the Zephyr Industries powered vent with backdraft damper for many years with great success.

As mentioned batteries are an electrochemical unit that requires, like us, a narrow window for temperature to exist and operate efficiently. When working hardest, typically during winter, the recharge requirements are high and the hours of sunlight are low, therefore the temperature window is best on the warmer end of the range.

The time of year when power requirement can be lowest in summer, the usage is lower due to long days and lack of heating systems drawing them down over night, unless you are irrigating and perhaps a PV direct design would then be best.

Thanks all.

Dana Orzel

Great Solar Works, Inc

E - dana at solarwork.com

V - 970.626.5253

F - 970.626.4140

C - 970.209.4076

web - www.solarwork.com

"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"

Do not ever belive anything, but seriously trust through action.