[RE-wrenches] Code switch heights

Matt Lafferty gilligan06 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 18:05:17 PST 2010

Hi Bob,

Maximum height to the top of handle is 6'7". Can't recall the millimeter
conversion off the top of my head... Oh, wait! My tape is in inches, anyway.

Minimum height is a judgement call. Your judgement and the AHJ's judgement.

Look around. Is there anything that can/will interfere with or damage the
switch? Sprinklers, pallet-jacks, foot traffic? Next thing i look for is
"where is it the most functional"? Visible and reachable is more valuable
than trying to use a short piece of conduit and wire. i also look at
importance... If there is one switch that controls a high hazard source, for
instance... You want it in a prominent location. A switch that may need to
be operated in a emergency shouldn't be mounted too low. 3' or higher, for
sure. The closer to eye level, the better.

It's always a challenge looking for the best arrangement of equipment with
complex systems. One thing i try to do is visualize the space and
arrangement from the perspective of entering the area. What if somebody is
not too familiar with the equipment and it's an emergency? Can they spot and
operate the swiches they need easily? i have had some very good solutions
appear from this exercise over the years. Solutions that my brain didn't see
from "straight on".

Hope you find the right mix, Bob.

Two Pines and a Hammock,

matt lafferty