[RE-wrenches] Strawbale wall penetration

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Sat Nov 20 15:40:35 PST 2010

Guys,Great stuff.  These are just the kinds of things i was wanting to look out for.
I already have a 16 or 18" mason bellhanger bit, although it likely will not be long enuf, unless i use it with my 16" bit extension which can be use with drill bits or hole saws.  I've only been out to the site once so far and neglected to figure out the wall thickness, but that wont be hard, i'll either check at a doorway or at the vent that i'll be pulling that existing teck cable out of.   i'll try out the rebar suggestion and make sure i have my carbide hole-saws as well.
Glenn, good call regarding the possibility of "required" metallic conduit on the DC run.  I'll check what Canadian Electrical Code rule covers this.
Phil, even thou i'll likely use my mason bits to start the holes in the plaster/stucco, do you grind down the business end of the rebar in a particular fashion to get a "cutting" edge on it.  I"m thinking either similar to a flat screwdriver (which might skid around a bit starting off) or a straight-across cut end with an "X" or "*" cut into the end.  And how many chucks did you go thru before you decided to flatten the drill end of the rebar?
Have a great weekend everyone!
benn

DayStar Renewable Energy Inc. benn at daystarsolar.ca780-906-7807 HAVE A SUNNY DAY