[RE-wrenches] Megger for array testing

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 18:11:04 PST 2010

Meggerers,

Although shorting the terminals to perform the megger tests may provide the
most uniform voltage profile, it is difficult to perform on many arrays and
adds unnecessary complexity to a test that needs to become routine for all
PV installations.

The appropriate way to perform the test at the combiner box level for
negatively grounded systems is as follows (voltage would be applied
backwards for a positively grounded array):

1.      Open all fuse holders and make sure no fuses are mounted in the
holders.

2.      Remove any connected surge arrestors from the circuits as these will
conduct during the test and may fail.

3.      Remove the grounded feeder conductor so there is no connection to
the inverter.

4.      Connect the negative of the Insulation Tester to the grounding
connection in the combiner box.

5.      Connect the positive of the Insulation Tester to the negative
connection in the combiner box.

6.      Apply either 500V or 1000V to the negative connection and wait for
the insulation resistance to achieve at least 100kOhms.

Insulation resistance will vary based upon module construction, moisture on
the  modules and conduit systems, and cycle of the moon (oh wait, that's the
PMS procedure-sorry)-actually irradiance and temperature can make a
difference. By adding 500V or 1000V to the negative side of the strings, the
positive side is going to go to 1000V or 1500V. This does not violate the
listing of the product as this is a temporary test. These types of tests are
customary for 600Vac wiring systems and they should be mandatory in PV
systems of any size operating above 100V. If the module is damaged by this
test, it was a faulty module since all module internal wiring is required to
withstand 2200V to ground throughout the unit-diodes and all. By testing in
the normal voltage bias that the product sees during operation, it will more
thoroughly stress the higher voltage parts of the array which are more
critical for the long-term reliability of the PV system.

If a resistance of 100kOhms cannot be achieved, take all the grounded-side
string conductors loose from the combiner block and test each one
individually to see if there are variations in resistance. If no variations
exist, the modules might be a more leaky variety and a new, lower threshold
would need to be established with the help of the module manufacturer.

Happy testing and don't forget to use your gloves.

Bill.