[RE-wrenches] backfeeding "six disconnect" panel

Dana Brandt dana at ecotechenergy.com
Tue Nov 2 13:59:07 PDT 2010

Thanks. That's really helpful. I think the Code Corner quote will help in
dealing with the AHJ.

>From a practical standpoint, though, I don't see why our PV input power
should limited by the 690.64 (B) (2) calculation if there's a main breaker
present, but if there's no main breaker we can feed in 100% of the bus
rating.

* "The basic restriction (which will be in the  2011 NEC) that would apply
to this type of main service panel is that the sum of the
overcurrent devices from the PV inverter(s) should not exceed the rating of
the panel bus bar or the rating of the service entrance cables."*

Is there something special in the busing on these main-lug-only panels that
means we don't have to be so conservative or is it a matter of the code not
really being consistent?

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Brandt