[RE-wrenches] backfeeding "six disconnect" panel

Matt Lafferty gilligan06 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 18:37:27 PDT 2010

Hi Dana,

"Sounds like" you have a lower-bus rated at 100A being fed by a 60A
breaker... Yes?

If so, technically speaking but not necessarily the right thing to do, you
have a SWEET SETUP! In 690.64 terms, you are legally allowed 120A to feed
that bus. Which converts to a maximum 60A PV interconnection breaker located
at the opposite end of the bus from the 60A supply breaker. This is a panel
configuration that I have wished was still made for many years.

The downside is... It's probably older than me. With really wimpy buses. And
really bad options for replacement breakers. And is full of 2-wire homerun
circuits.

If it doesn't have a perfect-in-every-way bus, it's time for a new panel.
You also need to be able to buy real... Modern.... And New UL Listed
breakers. Those gray looking replacement breakers in the home improvement
store? They're NOT OK. In any way.

Wadsworth? FPE? Bulldog? &...??? These panels are NOT OK for interconnection
at this point. Time to upgrade. Yes, really. Zinsco? Depends. Any panel with
signs of arcing around the bus anywhere? Better have a damned good
explanation before I'd be tying in some PV. I know of a couple. Warped
breakers? Change it!

I just got done doing a 90% rewire on a friend's house and it tore my heart
out sending the panel to the recycler. (This friend is into long-term
thinking and sustainable everything. I would have left it if I could and so
would they.) The bus was pristine. It is rumored that Al Capone used to stay
in this place when he was in the area. The panel was giant, with lots of
room. This panel had a coolness factor off the charts. But... I couldn't
reliably get trustworthy breakers. And it was my friend's house. Somebody I
care about. I couldn't leave it in there. I use the same judgement whether
my customer is a friend or not.

If what you have is a modern panel, share! I know I would personally
appreciate it if you were able to share mfr, model, pictures, etc. Whenever
we are upgrading/swapping/moving a service panel, we need to be installing
something that provides the best opportunity for interconnection of
distributed resources. We don't have those at this point. And we need them.
A split-distribution (not just split-bus) service panel is one way to
accomplish this. The trick is to limit the possible size of the breaker
feeding the "2nd" bus (the lower bus in this case). It's not rocket science.

I'd be happy to use and publicize a product that a mainstream manufacturer
came up with to deal with this. How about you?

$0.02001,

Solar Janitor

PS - Home rewiring for friends only. I love doing it, but I do it for love.
There ain't no amount of money that makes me want to do it just for money!
  _____