[RE-wrenches] small offgrid pv kit

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Thu Oct 28 08:28:01 PDT 2010

August:

Off-grid and battery back-up are redundant terms.  If this is for an
on-grid home wanting battery-back-up, the process of integration involves
many aspects of an electrical remodel intercepting circuits, possibly
installing a small load center in an existing structure).  This requires an
enhanced electrical skill set and may be even more unsuited for
installation by a semi-skilled home owner than a battery-less grid-tie system.

Kits are problematic in several regards:  Every battery system we install
is different in requirements and configuration from any other.  The
components are heavy and a pre-assembled back board can be quite heavy and
difficult to handle.

I discourage the "kit" approach for these reasons.  If I have qualified
home owners that want to participate, I suggest they do mechanical
preparation, i.e. install plywood back-board, build battery box, set pole
for TOP mount, dig trench, and, at most, run conduit , etc.  We have found
rocks inside home owner run conduit, so even this simple task requires some
training-  training which is hard to verify.

William Miller

At 07:44 AM 10/28/2010, you wrote:
>Hi Wrenches,
>
>I have a DIY client who is looking for a small $10 to $15k complete off
>grid battery backup kit he can install himself. Email me off list if you
>have any sources or thoughts.
>
>Thanks!
>
>-August
>
>List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
>Options & settings:

>List rules & etiquette:
>www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
>Check out participant bios:
>www.members.re-wrenches.org

>19:12:00

Please note new e-mail address and domain:

William Miller
Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600
email: william at millersolar.com