[RE-wrenches] Ground Mount Screening

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 08:26:54 PDT 2010

Mark,

I certainly was not implying that you were in any way unintelligent. I was
merely suggesting that fences or only one means of compliance. You have a
different opinion, and you are entitled to it. However, if all jurisdictions
viewed prevention of ready access to mean fences, that would not be good for
the PV industry as a whole.

Both crawl spaces and unfinished basements can have numerous hazards so
these locations are generally not seen as habitable and should not be
readily accessible locations. However, a garage does require that NM be
above 8' or protected--usually by sheetrock--below 8 feet. Under a PV array
that is lower than 8' would be like a crawl space only if access to the
underside were protected as crawl spaces should be. We tried to get specific
language in the NEC on types of guards that were permitted, but the Code
Making Panel rejected the proposal stating that it was well-understood in
the electrical industry how to prevent ready access--maybe not so much.

The much bigger problem is that installers put not protection around their
wiring systems so that children can use the "black vines" to play Tarzan on
them. I think you would agree that is not good--but we see it all the time
in rural areas.

Animals are another big problem in certain places. While this thread is
about ground mount systems, roof mounting in wooded areas populated by
squirrels is a serious problem--as discussed many times in this forum. The
code currently does not address this problem, but perimeter screening may be
a requirement in the future to prevent both squirrels and debris from
creating a fire hazard under a PV array. Just yesterday I was talking to a
contractor that had just come back from an installation with a fully eaten
6-foot section of USE-2 where they had to remove the array to repair the
wiring. Fortunately, the ground fault protection activated and prevented a
fire.

Bill.