[RE-wrenches] The perfect solar ready roof

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 10:30:40 PDT 2010

If you ask me this is a dream scenario.  The scary thing about S-5!s is that
you rarely know how often the roofing panels are attached to the decking and
how well the decking is attached to the framing.  In this case you can
direct the roofer to fasten the roof as often as you want.  I had a PE do an
analysis for a sure-fire acceptable attachment method for a standing seam
roof given: 90 mph wind zone, 18" wide standing seam roofing panels,
flush-mounted PV array (modules to rail to S-5!s, no tilt legs), and his
result was that if the roofing panels are fastened every 4" along each seam
you are in the clear.  He did not address the decking-to-framing attachment,
but while the roof is off you could add as many fasteners as you want.  If
the structure of the roof is in question I would definitely have a PE look
at it and stamp the plans before proceeding, but once you have everything
under the roof robust and approved, you are primed and ready for a
worry-free, penetration-free S-5!-to-standing-seam array install.

In another email string someone mentioned issues with S-5!s slipping down
the roof due to snow which is why I recommend attaching at every seam and
breaking out that torque-wrench when installing.

Good luck!

Andrew Truitt
NABCEP Certified PV Installer™ (ID# 032407-66)
Truitt Renewable Energy Consulting
(202) 486-7507
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-truitt/8/622/713

"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it's wireless!"

~William McDonough

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Kristopher Schmid <solman at legacysolar.com>