[RE-wrenches] BAKERSFIELD FIRE former "Target fire"

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Oct 19 10:49:30 PDT 2010

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer
HI Bill;

Where do we sign your petition?
I've advocated for ungrounded systems for over a decade. Besides Europe, electric vehicles and mobile systems are long standing examples that this is safe. It also solves IMHO some lightning issues, and is easier to work on (less accidental short circuits to frames and boxes)
I've done numerous ungrounded systems, and never had any problems. (We still of course bonded all exposed metal to ground, with EGCs run with the conductors)
My question is how do Sunpower modules behave ungrounded? I was under the impression that they had to have positive bonded to ground to function properly. Your proposed "Temporary Ground Lift" circuit would probably be the best way for Sunpower modules?

Thanks for your always thorough education of us numb nuts in the field,

Ray Walters