[RE-wrenches] Enphase v. string inverter

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 11 08:33:32 PDT 2010

Hello Drake,

I have observed hundreds of PV systems in the early morning and can say without doubt that string inverters are not inherently slow to wake up.

For example, today my 12 year old SW4048 with a single crystal PV array facing south at 12 and 18 degrees tilt and my SB2100 with a single crystal PV array facing south at 18 degrees both were putting out power at 7:45 am when the sun was 9 degrees above the horizon at azimuth 105 degrees. Today the sky is clear and the sun rose in Los Angeles at 6:57 am.

I have seen systems with 100 kW Xantrex inverters and flat Unisolar arrays wake up before the morning sun rose above the horizon. Granted the systems were putting out less than 5 kW, but the inverters were on.

See you all at the solar conference.

Best regards,
Joel Davidson