[RE-wrenches] Inverter 1741 Listing Process

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Fri Oct 8 19:26:33 PDT 2010

  On 10/8/2010 6:04 PM, Matt Lafferty wrote:
> Hola Wrenches,
> Does anybody know off the top of their head if the
> /"5-minute-wait-to-interconnect"/ function is tested on 100% of
> inverters produced? /(i.e. every single inverter is tested with AC &
> DC within the start parameters of the unit for at least 5 minutes)/
> Thanks!
> Matt Lafferty

Good question.  I bet it's not 100% tested because if the software does not
change, then they may just not wait the extra 5 minutes in order to save
money on testing.
Or, maybe they do a random sampling for this test.

Theoretically, it shouldn't matter as long as the software does not change
and the hardware is tested enough in other ways, like, timers and clocks
etc.

BTW, Nowadays, there are two options for manufacturers of grid
interactive inverters....
And the UL spec has gotten more stringent.

  One option  is that you have to have  the  code (software) blessed by
the NRTL in a separate
process (another UL specification, (UL 1998 --Software in Programmable
Components")

OR, if they don't go for that option, then if software changes need to
be done to the
inverter, the inverter must (technically) go through the UL1741 listing
process all over
again.

boB