[RE-wrenches] UL and Grid-tied Battery Back Up Systems

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 5 13:52:47 PDT 2010

Hello Peter, It was good to see you at the LADWP Commissioners Meeting even
though we didn't have time to talk. I told Mr. Benyamin, LADWP AGM, at the
meeting that there were no safety issues regarding grid-tie PV system with
batteries because the inverters were IEEE 929 compliant. He said he was
concerned about batteries being added to a PV system after the initial
utility inspection. I told him that batteries can not be added to a
non-battery inverter. He said it is being done so the conversation ended.
How many people are adding battery inverters later? I've done hundreds of
grid-tied systems and never added a battery inverter and battery bank after
the initial installation.

Wrenches, are you adding batteries to non-battery grid-tied PV systems after
the initial installation? If yes, what inverter and how do you deal with the
inspector?

Joel Davidson