[RE-wrenches] Surrette AGM's

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Fri Sep 17 12:01:08 PDT 2010

If it's "survival mode" only, why do you need 1,200 cycles?! How many
hurricanes/tornados/riots are you getting around there? :)

The S-460 is a great battery, but it's rated for 1200 cycles to 50%. I
don't have a cycle curve handy, but you can probably expect about half
the cycles at 80% DOD.

Based on the price, it looks like you are talking about 8 of the S-460's
for 350aH @ 48V. Maybe go to 8 of the Concorde PVX-2580L and use a 50%
DOD factor instead. I'm not sure how that compares to the GNB price for
the same capacity. That also gives you the option for occasional deep
discharges to 80% DOD. The point is, it might be cheaper to increase
capacity and decrease DOD than to buy a "higher quality" battery that
can handle more cycles to 80% DOD.

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar
Cape Coral, FL