[RE-wrenches] On Demand Heaters for SDHW

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Thu Sep 16 04:21:16 PDT 2010

Kris,

Boiler manufacturers today get starry-eyed when their machines are able to
provide a 10:1 turndown ratio. Even the venerable natural draft Bosch 125BS
* provided a better than 4:1 turndown ratio and all the condensing powervent
units compared below regularly offer 10:1 and some better than 20:1. With
each benefit comes a disadvantage, like with current production cars,
serious repair/maintenance takes place primarily at the dealer since they
are usually the only ones to pony up for the multitude of specialized test
equipment. I find it a bit of backward progress to have to tell someone that
the reason they don't have reliable hot water is because they don't have the
current software update (due in no small part to the marketing gurus who
have no qualms about using the customer as the proving grounds for their
product). Many plumbers have no clue to the workings of a combustion
analyzer, a necessary tool for  negative pressure gas valve tuning and
replacement (and a multitude of other tasks where the blue flame is no
longer sufficient to be able to deliver optimum performance).

Your Takagi needs AC power to (in order of decreasing current requirements
for a generic power vented tankless)
    power the freeze protection heating elements
    run the primary combustion fan
    run the secondary combustion fan
    provide control to
        gas valve
        water valve
        control board (oftentimes with digital display) which provides the
logic and timing circuits for the multitude of sensors and limit switches
and remote controls and wireless remote controls etc., etc.

Long live the thermocouple.

My compliments on your simplistic approach to coordinate the solar storage
tank and tankless. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar

*
http://www.boschhotwater.com/HelpfulResources/TechnicalSupport/BoschAquaStarModels/125BSTechSupport/Specifications/tabid/536/Default.aspx