[RE-wrenches] Delta LA's in or out? It's our choice.

Dave Palumbo dave at independentpowerllc.com
Wed Sep 15 14:19:09 PDT 2010

Bill,

I checked with Delta and they say the LA's are designed to be mounted
inside, or, outside the box. On their product sheets that came with the
arrestors in years past they clearly showed the LA's inside the load center.
In fact that is the way they are still showing them used on their sales web
site http://www.deltasurgeprotectors.com/home.cfm

Maybe the lawyers want them shown in the box for liability concerns. The
tech person I spoke with says they recommend  putting them in the box if
they are around combustible material such as insulation. Could that also be
dry grass around a ground mount?

They did say that on LA's manufactured  2009 and later that the jar no
longer cracks, they have a "VIP plug" on the bottom of the jar that pops out
when the LA is done. They did say that on big, close by strikes, all bets
are off on just the VIP plug popping out. Expect more damage in that case.

BTW, great article in Solar Pro on PV array voltage issues.

Thanks,

Dave