[RE-wrenches] Delta LAs

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue Sep 14 18:00:59 PDT 2010

Jay -

I can see that point, but does that really effect insurance payout? It seems
like one could argue that a properly installed system with proper grounding
inspected by a building official has a lot more clout than and little grey
cylinder next to the inverter or disconnect.

Please all wrenches, correct me if I'm wrong but I can't remember a single
time when there was a post about an actual lightning strike and a lightning
arrestor actually doing its job - meaning that an arrestor took a hit and
protected the array and or inverter. I've heard plenty of stories about
blown lightning arrestors and good equipment but no one seems to know what
caused the situation. It might be that lightning is hard to track and I
agree with that. And lightning might have been the cause. It would be great
to track lightning-fried installations to see what happened and what could
be fixed. If lightning arrestors are the solution then by all means we
should install them. Most of the time I think that proper grounding is the
solution although I wish that field experience would prove the point.

What do you think?

-A

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 5:28 PM, jay peltz <jay at asis.com> wrote:

> I also live in a area without much lightning, however I install one in most
> systems for the simple reason of insurance.
> If there is lightning damage, the insurance company can't use that as a way
> to not pay any claims.
> ie cheap insurance.
>
> jay
>
> peltz power
> On Sep 14, 2010, at 8:39 AM, August Goers wrote:
>
> > All -
> >
> > I guess my thought is a little off topic, but are lightning arrestors
> even worth using at all? My logic has always been that if lightning does
> indeed strike that it's likely going to blow the arrestor and and inverter.
> We don't have much of a lightning issue issue in the Bay Area so I don't
> have any direct experience.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > August

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org