[RE-wrenches] 1.56 ISC Minimum OCP is STUPID!

Matt Lafferty gilligan06 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 07:46:24 PDT 2010

Kent, William, Nick, Dav   e, et al,

Wish I had time to respond sooner than this, but haven't. Where to start?
Oh, yeah. Dave P's comment about getting opaque tarps for his job trailer is
right on. Good advice for everybody.

I get the sense some may think I am trying to reduce the maximum allowable
OCP rating. I am not. Go with the listed Series Fuse rating if you like.

My position is simply to ALLOW a designer/installer to choose OCP rated LESS
than 1.56 ISC. By doing this, certain safety hazards can be reduced by up to
40%, or more, compared to many system configurations being installed today.
WITHOUT reducing reliability in any way. At NO ADDITIONAL COST. And there's
no need to invent, patent, alpha-test, beta-test, early-market-hype... None
of that.

All you gotta do is ALLOW OCP that is something between ISC & 1.56 ISC.

There are numerous examples of burned-up equipment and roofs. Hell, there's
probably something out there cooking right now.... Many cases where
selecting a safer, lower amperage fuse would have reduced the damage. By
opening up the currents backfeeding into a fault sooner. At a lower
amperage. With less heat and lower incident energy.

Our power & current-limited energy sources will continue to feed into a
fault until the sun goes down or until someone clears the fault. Whichever
comes first. On conductors that can safely handle it until somebody gets
there to fix it. That's gonna just have to remain the case until we have
RELIABLE, cost-effective, DC arc-fault circuit interrupters at the source.*
Our job, as an industry, is to reduce the potential hazards and damage, when
faults happen, to their lowest responsible levels. This means opening up the
backfeed from other circuits as quickly as possible when something goes
wrong.

Pick a module. Pick an Ipmax and Isc. Let's do the strings and feeders and
evaluate safety, efficiency, cost... All the stuff that needs to be counted.
And you tell me.

How about a 7.99 Ipmax and 8.51 Isc with a 15A Series Fuse rating? I just
made it up. Let's use that. I'll say use a 9A midget in the string combiner.
You're gonna say 15A midget in the string combiner. We're both gonna say the
same size wire. My situation is 6A safer. 40%. You're gonna say "Enhanced
Irradiance is a Normal Operating Condition!". And I say fine!

9A Fuse = 112% Ipmax. Hmmm? Is that enough? Maybe not. Or maybe so.
Especially when we know they aren't "precision" circuit protection.... Using
your own numbers, we can figure on NOT tripping below 105% of the rating,
which comes out to.... 9.45. Or 118% Ipmax. Maybe worth a shot. If it was
mine, I would. And would be happy to report the conditions any time a fuse
blew over the course of its life.

But it ain't mine. And I'm way good with using a 10A fuse here. 125% Ipmax.
Which is still 33% safer than your 15A fuse. And will NEVER blow under
normal operating conditions. NEVER! And it cost the same. And it took the
same amount of time to order and install. And, when the tree fell across the
conduit during a windstorm one night... Crunching a pipe on the roof...
Shorting out 1 of 4 strings... It didn't cook with all the other strings
coming from the combiner past 10:00 AM the next morning. By 10:00 AM the sun
was up good enough that my 1.18 ISC rated fuse blew. Just like I hope it
would. Because it only needed 400 W/m2 to blow.

What if I had put in 9A? 350 W/m2.

But your 15A fuse is gonna go longer. Yours is gonna need to be right close
to 600 W/m2, and that much sun don't always come around every day. Yours is
going to cook with all the heat of the injured string PLUS 176% ISC until...
Well, maybe not until a couple days later. Or a week? Will it cook until it
faults other conductors? Or starts a fire? Where's the National Fire
Protection in that? Will it still be cooking when the service tech without a
DC current clamp meter and the knowledge that he needs one..... When THAT
GUY gets there? Is yours still gonna be cooking when THAT GUY gets there?

Could be a tree. Could be a nicked wire. The cause doesn't matter much at
this point. What matters is that the current sources to a fault are removed
as soon as practicably possible. One way to do this is to use lower-ampere
rated fuses.

What's really interesting is how this same exercise works out on a String
Combiner to Master Combiner feeder. Use that same module and build a 100kW
or 500kW system.

Figure 7 strings per string combiner going into a 100A Fuse on a master
combiner. Figure a dozen of those. So, 84 strings total. (Really just making
up numbers here... Use your own if you like.)

Each feeder is 8.51 Isc * 7 strings = 59A Isc. On a 100A fuse. Figure a
#1AWG feeder in an 1-1/2" pipe. Figure that conductor is derated to 110A
ampacity with temperature, etc.

Using my method, I can put a 70A fuse in there and shave 30A of destruction
off any fault. Right off the top. 30 flippin' amps might totally mean the
difference between a fire and a not fire. And that 70A fuse is still 125%
Ipmax.

I might also be able to do something else. That 30% in amperage saving just
might equate to less combiners and feeders. Let's run that scenario. Start
with the 100A fuse. Using my same 125% Ipmax ratio, I can put 10 strings in
a combiner. 10 strings * 8.51A Isc * 1.56 = 133A so that's too many for my
conductor. How many strings can I get on my conductor? 110A / 8.51 / 1.56 =
8 strings. 125% Ipmax = 79.9, which bumps me to an 80A fuse. Which is still
20A less destruction in a fault. On the same feeder. Now work that out... 8
strings per combiner means I now need only 11 combiners and feeders instead
of 12. 10 of them would be the 8-string/80A fuse sort and the last would be
a 4-string/70A (lowest in that physical size). Which results in at least 8%
savings in combiners & feeders and a 20A safer feeder. We might be able to
up the conductor one size and use even less combiners. Any way you go it's
money and safety savings.

If you really fear that cloud-edge increases the actual, operational
amperage in these circuits for long durations, use your own numbers. I
happen to think that 125% Ipmax is reasonable in most cases. If you are up
at 10,000 elevation, you might have a different thought. I say use what you
like up to the Series Fuse rating of the module for OCP and 1.56*ISC minimum
conductor.

I just want the right to protect my customers and the folks who work on this
stuff as much as I can.

Sunshine Wishes!

Matt Lafferty

gilligan06 at gmail.com

*  Even once there is such a thing as a RELIABLE, cost-effective DC
arc-fault circuit interrupting gadget AT THE SOURCE, you will still have a
fault. Being fed by parallel strings. Until that combiner fuse blows. At
which time the fault will still be a fault. But it will be a DEAD FAULT. If
this new-fangled RELIABLE, cost-effective whatchamadohickie on the normal
load side (inverter, charge-controller, margarita-mixer, etc.) of wherever a
fault occurs, you will still have a fault when the whatchama... That thing,
opens. And this fault will NOT be a DEAD FAULT. Nosiree! It will be the SAME
EXACT FAULT YOU WOULD HAVE IN 2010. Only this fault will now have cost
millions of dollars in grief, standards-making, R&D, early-market-hype,
paychecks to marketing... Fights with AHJs and engineers and bosses and
workers... Yes, this fault will have cost a lot and it will be EXACTLY THE
SAME as you have now. (Note to anybody who thinks otherwise: The DC AFCI
MUST go as near the source as possible!)

** Use of the term "never" is... Well... Rare. As in, I pretty much regard
the word as sacred. Please understand that my use of the term "NEVER"
indicates a strong belief on my part that this will not happen... Under
normal operating conditions.

  _____