[RE-wrenches] Delta LA's

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Sep 2 12:41:58 PDT 2010

I know, as Bill pointed out, that the Deltas are supposed to be mounted on the exterior to allow the damage to stay outside of the combiner box. But I've also seen a lot of old Deltas damaged by the sun, and seen them cracked off at the 1/2" nipple attachment point, which then leaves exposed THHN conductors against the edge of the knock out. Just bumping one with your foot or shoulder could crack the plastic.

We just finished a project with BOS combiners, and I mounted the Deltas to the backing plate inside using a 2" PVC conduit clamp. In this case, the AHJs were very concerned with sealing all KOs on the sides of jboxes, so we would have had to mount the Deltas on Myer's Hubs. Clunky, and we didn't have 1/2" hubs.
If conditions allow, I do prefer to hang them off the bottom of a box, as long as they're protected from physical abuse. Side mounting is definitely asking for trouble in many situations, they're just too easy to snap off.
I've also wondered if we should be fusing these things. One hand says definitely yes, on the other hand, a big lightning strike would trip the fuse, before the Delta could do its job.
BTW, with over 200 projects in lightning territory, I've never actually had a Delta blow itself while protecting the system. Plenty of lighting damage, though, with the Delta still just sitting there.
Anyone using the DIN rail mountable equipment from Citadel?

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer