[RE-wrenches] Micro-Inverter Vs Central Inverters $150 Design Challenge

Nick Soleil nicksoleilsolar at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 10:36:39 PDT 2010

Hi Ryan:
    I don't want to take your money, but I am sure I could, if I had the time to
waste.  I have issues with Enphase, too, and I am very aware of the drawbacks,
but they are not nearly as extreme as you make them sound.
    You did not even mention the #1 reason to use Enphase, however, which is the
awesome monitoring ability.  This is the clear reason to utilize Enphase.  I
have replaced more than 50 bad modules in the last couple of years, and I bet
there are a ton more out there that we haven't found.  I was at a site yesterday
which had BP modules, and three of the modules had failed on one 36 module
system.  Micro-inverters could have saved a ton of troubleshooting time.  On
this job, we had to uninstall dozens of modules, test them, and re-install the
modules, adding up to more than 10 hours of labor.  At $90 per hour, that is
$900 that would have been saved by this one customer.  Plus, the failed modules
would have been discovered much earlier, and would not have caused multiple
strings to fail!!!!!!!  What a waste.  Enphase eliminates this.
- I have installed thousands of Enphase inverters, and have only seen one
failure.  Only one.  They are far more reliable than string inverters
- The wiring included with the Enphase wiring harnesses is too small, so I break
each circuit into two sub-circuits, so this adds a $50 cable, which is
necessary, but manageable, IMHO.
- They are more expensive, and listed at .5% lower efficiency than some string
inverters, but higher than others.
- It can be difficult to maintain a 1.5% voltage drop on the AC side, but there
is almost no DC drop, which is a plus that makes up for the lower efficiency.

 Nick Soleil
Project Manager
Advanced Alternative Energy Solutions, LLC
PO Box 657
Petaluma, CA 94953
Cell:   707-321-2937
Office: 707-789-9537