[RE-wrenches] Inverter for fire protection pump

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 28 08:24:32 PDT 2010

Sorry this could be more helpful if I had a better memory, I don't mean to ramble, but some wrenches may find value.

I am working on a standalone system now and I am in testing.  Normally I use OUtback, (and I am very happy)  and this time I decided to use Magnum 4024 AE.  The job has both a large motor and is AC coupled to DGI inverter.  The large motor draws over 120 amp (120 volt) surge when connected to a grid source.  I have started this motor in test repeatedly My Greenlee amp clamp says it is surging at 90 amps! The VOM says the min voltage is 97 volts. This is on ONE 4024 AE,  Magnum is getting close to release of the paralled version The test battery set is Trojan T105 single string, and the surge DC measured by Ideal DC clamp on is 280 amps.  Voltage and minimum battery voltage is 21 volts Ideal VOM.  I would think that the parrellel version could handle your motor.

Old system
I did a fire pump install in a large residence, I think back in 2004?  the specs were similar except the starting surge was higher and the running was almost the same (maximum of 20 amps and less depending upon flow).  I used an Odd number of OUtback inverters (5) but not all were to this task.  First the starting surge measured by my greenlee clamp-on amp meter was higher on the grid than it is on the inverters.  I did a lot of field tests, however I do not know where I put the data.  I noticed that if I had fully charged batteries the starting was 100% reliable but on batteries at near 50% SoC the system started to fault on "low AC" during start-up The batteries were L-16 Surrette 48 volt string. If the system was started every five minutes it would fault, but if a longer waiting period  I remember during the course of the job I started the pump over 100 times in test mode with out a failure.  (this system gets annual tests and no problems so far)

Pumps:  We found that the pump current draw depended upon the flow rate we allowed..  If we had one head open, the current draw was less than all heads open.  The maximum curent draw was at some flow rate in the middle flow range! The starting surge was independent of whether the valve was open or closed.  If it would be possible to use a SQflex this would be a good choise.  Finally this system is grid tied and has a relay to Outback if the Grid should fail and it has a generator inlet box if a generator is avaiable to take the load.