[RE-wrenches] Tight roof layout questions: edge walkway requirements & "small gap" hardware options

Dan Fink danbob at hughes.net
Wed Aug 25 15:35:15 PDT 2010

Mick;

I train both fire departments and PV installers across the USA on PV
systems and firefighter safety. Covering the roof "edge to edge" as you
say is a very slippery slope for you, as the system designer. It's not
legal in many areas, where setbacks and access pathways for firefighters
are required (see CalFire regulations, or contact me for more
information on these).

And even if it *is* legal in your area, an "edge to edge" array cripples
your local fire department as to their options in fighting a fire in or
around that structure--whether it be just an ember from the neighbor's
BBQ lodged in the roof, an oncoming wildfire, or a room on fire inside
from a cigar in a wastebasket.

In any case, as a firefighter since 1998, your question gives me the
cold chills. "Edge to edge" in PV installer jargon can very easily lead
to "let it burn" in firefighter jargon. In PR jargon, you are looking at
a possible newspaper headline that says "Solar panels made house fire
too dangerous to fight, Fire Chief says."

Don't go there. Plan in access pathways. If you don't, an ember from the
neighbors BBQ could bring it all down.

DAN FINK
Buckville Energy Consulting LLC
danfink at buckville.com