[RE-wrenches] Testing LSAs

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Tue Aug 24 15:02:52 PDT 2010

I would think that an ohmmeter set to the 10 Mega-ohm setting (or the
highest setting possible), would be the first test. I would like to see
something on the order of 750 k-ohms (3/4 of a mega-ohm).

But the system should be tested at a higher voltage, than that available
from a DMM. Apply 240 Vac and measure the RMS current. It should be should
be 0.3 mA or less.

Finally, these puppies really need to be tested at much higher voltages,
perhaps someone knows how to use that megohmmeter to test? What does the
manu recommend, “if suspect, throw it away and buy a new one”?

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885