[RE-wrenches] PV GEC to the same point as the utilityservice GEC?

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Aug 23 13:54:38 PDT 2010

I think the issue is that some installers are wanting the supplementary electrode for the array tied to the building grounding system in two places. I saw this in BIll Brooks seminar too, but then he said it wasn't necessary. Basically the EGC system already ties both electrodes together as required, and a 2nd conductor directly between the two electrodes can create a lightning loop.
If the electrodes would be close together, you can actually drop the array electrode, and tie straight to the building electrode. But if it is on the other side of the building for instance, some have run 2 conductors, 1) the already required EGC through the AC conduit, and then 2) a separate GEC on the outside of the building that connects the electrodes a 2nd time.

This would be the same logic as bonding your electrode of your house to your neighbor's house: it's not necessary ( they're already bonded through the services) and it can cause trouble, especially with lightning.
Even my new ground impedance tester only works, if each grounding electrode is bonded once (and only once) to the rest of the grounding system.
It's a key point of lighting protection in multiple electrode grounding systems too: never create loops in your grounding system.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer