[RE-wrenches] useful info on wire color coding

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Aug 22 11:49:26 PDT 2010

I found utter world wide confusion upon more research on this issue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power has a table that lists color coding for different countries, US is black, red, blue, (common practice),
while our neighbors in Canada, use Red, black, blue.☺  Europe is completely wild.

430.97B requires that the phase arrangement of the legs be ABC from left to right in the disconnect box, but no color coding is mentioned. Apparently color coding of phases was dropped from the code in 1975. (please correct me on all of this, oh fellow older wrenches)
I found reference to 406.3 E, but I  only have a 1999 code book with me at the moment, and that's not in the old code.

I noted that Fluke's 9040 phase rotation meter, has no color coding, just 3 black leads.
New Mexico practice was often just 3 blacks as well, except for a Delta high leg system, where the high leg is required to be marked in Orange (as per code).

http://www.3phasepower.org/3phasewiring.htm also shows black, red, blue for the US, so I think that would be the smart way to color code here, even if it's not code specified.

As the others pointed out, checking phase rotation, at the terminals as close to the equipment as possible before throwing the switch is the most important thing. Anywhere along the line, the wires could have been switched, thus reversing the phase rotation.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer