[RE-wrenches] DR2424 inverters charging poorly: three units in two days!

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Aug 19 22:57:05 PDT 2010

Backwoods sells the buck boost transformers for a reasonable price.
I have to add belatedly that as bomb proof as the venerable DRs were, they indeed never charged well from cruddy generators. I had one once that made 0.5 amps at 12 volts DC.
The culprit as you already pointed out: Peak voltage was under 130 vac with the genie loaded. A Fluke 87/89 can be set to capture peak, and is very handy for diagnosing these DR/ genie ailments.
I've had a couple of systems add grid later, and amazingly the DR will crank close to rated charging output when fed good pure sinewave.
It was designed as backup power for ongrid in the Dominican Republic (DR), not genie power.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer